St Thomas of canterbury C of E Junior School, Brentwood
I have been a qualified teacher since 2005. I have been a Year Group Leader and member of SLT for six years and I am currently a Deputy Headteacher and Assessment Leader at a two and a half form entry junior school. I completed a Masters in Education in 2012, at which time I was a Literacy Leader. To improve writing I implemented Talk for Writing in addition to researching using film to enhance writing as part of my Masters dissertation. I trained staff and presented my findings to various leaders in education in addition to the Media Education Association.
I have particular experience in assessment as I have been Assessment Leader for over 6 years developing systems to assess progress and implement interventions to improve attainment and progress. I worked with Target Tracker to create the new Assessment Without Levels Literacy system and I have therefore trained to understand and use data produced by this system and others to improve standards. I have trained subject leaders to analyse their subject data and implement necessary monitoring and training from the results.
I have trained staff in many areas including: Literacy, assessment and coaching and co-coaching; in addition to coordinating lesson study across schools to improve practice through coaching. I have also mentored many SCITT trainees and NQTs assisting them to successfully complete their year in training.
My schools have gone through many changes and as an SLT member I have carried out extensive and carefully documented monitoring using a triangulation of data which has helped them successfully deliver a broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils.
Specialist Areas of Expertise
- Assessment and Data analysis
- Target setting and Interventions
- Leadership and Continuing Professional Development
- Mentoring NQTs and ITT Trainees
- Coaching and Mentoring
Other Areas of Expertise
- Developing change as a whole school approach
- Monitoring for improvement
- Use of film and non-written texts to enhance literacy skills
- Masters in Education (University of Bedfordshire)
- Leadership and Management for Deputy and Assistant Headteachers (EES Professional Development)
- Effective Lesson Observations (Impetus SIP)
- SEF, Raise on Line &School Action Planning (Impetus SIP)