MAT Training Solutions & Case Study
Development and Training Solutions
In partnership with Billericay Teaching School Alliance, National Leaders of Governance provide professional, practical training and development solutions for multi academy trusts that enable everyone to govern with confidence.
Together we provide bespoke training solutions across multi-academy trusts. We work with you to identify your governance development needs. We can provide a range of bespoke training solutions either face-to-face or as a webinar, including:
- Induction training for new local governing body governors
- Governance conferences to inspire and educate all levels of governance
- Governance training programmes for the whole trust
- Trust board and members training
Key Features of our training solutions
- Up to date guidance on how to do the job, addressing topical issues
- Free resource packs – templates, tools, examples and checklists to help you be productive
- Signposting to national resources, research and DfE guidance
- All training developed with reference to the Governance Competency Framework
- Best practice advice from experienced chairs
- Action plan or personal log for governors to complete and take away
- Bespoke training solutions for your board or multi-academy trust
- Training programmes and packages
- Public courses, in-house courses or webinars at affordable prices
Our Training Programme covers all aspects of the Governance Competency Framework
As National Leaders of Governance we have experience working with multi-academy trusts to support the development of high quality, consistent governance practices at all levels. These can include:
- Local Governing Body Reviews
- Development of your Trust Governance handbook
- Support in evolving and refining your Scheme of Delegation
- Developing governor profiles
- Developing monitoring guidance, checklists and processes
- Trust board reviews
A growing MAT of six primary schools asked us to work with them to improve their governance practices. Whilst they had very keen local governors, they lacked confidence and needed focused training to help them effectively discharge their duties.
What we did
We created a complete governance development solution for the MAT which included:
- A kick-off one day governance conference focusing on the core responsibilities of governance, reflecting the current scheme of delegation.
- Focused in-house training events on key topics, including Effective Monitoring, Governance of Safeguarding, and Governance of SEND
- Development of a governor monitoring process, including a step-by-step approach, monitoring report template and guidance
- Development and delivery of a personalised governance induction course for new governors across the MAT
- Mentoring sessions with each local chair to help them create an individual governance development plan for their local governing board
- Feedback to the trust board with guidance on potential next steps to further develop governance across the trust
- The governance conference was the most well attended governance event they had ever offered
- Local governors, trustees, members, trust staff and headteachers were motivated by the joined-up development solution that helped them really understand what was expected of them and appreciate the value of bespoke training
- Monitoring quantity, quality and effectiveness improved
- Governance practices at local board level were praised in recent Ofsted inspections across the MAT
- New governors are now able to contribute quickly and confidently to the work of the local board
The trust board and CEO are so pleased with the impact and value for money of our work with them so far we are now working on refining their scheme of delegation to make it more user friendly, creating governance role profiles for key link governor roles, and re-writing their governance handbook to provide comprehensive guidance on all governance duties across the MAT.
“The professional advice, training and guidance provided has proved invaluable in developing Governance across the MAT”…… MAT CEO
What people say about us
We pride ourselves on delivering high quality governance development services that really have an impact. Here are some comments from delighted clients.
“The best training I have ever attended. THANK YOU!” “At last, training that tells me how to do the job! I feel inspired as a governor.” “Thank you. The course helped me understand what I should be focussing on” The course was so helpful. I now understand how I can make a difference as a governor” “All governors should come to this training. If only it had have been available sooner. I am going to encourage everyone on our board to attend the next event“
We are National Leaders of Governance (NLGs) who are experienced chairs of governing boards. We have been designated as NLGs by the Department for Education. We are experienced at supporting governance in different settings and are experienced trainers, coaches and mentors.
NLG Advocate for East of England and NE London. An experienced governance tutor who runs the Governance Leadership Programme across England.
An experienced governance tutor, mentor and coach who has delivered bespoke governance training across Essex.
With over 25 years in education and Governance, Julie is an experienced NLG who has a track record of supporting governance boards across Essex and beyond.
Based in Newham, Andrew is an experienced Chair of a Multi Academy Trust and experienced NLG who has provided training for governing boards across the country.